Monday, January 5, 2009

spring


I am not sentimental about the holidays. If it were up to me, I'd take down the tree the minute the last present is unwrapped.
We did have a great tree this year - I almost hated to take it down.  After being horrified by the price of tiny little $40 trees at Ted Drewes', we went up Watson to be horrified by the price of tiny little $65 trees at a Boy Scout stand. We ended up at Lowe's (who woulda thunk?) right before closing and went home with a decent, although slightly dry, $18 tree. It smelled great right up until the day David donated it to Carondelet park.
But, I digress .  .  .
I'm a warm weather girl - the warmer, the better. I hate being cold and dread the approach of winter. I hate being cooped up inside. I look stupid in turtlenecks. I look even stupider in hats. 
The holidays are over, yippeeeee!!! Now I can start looking for spring!
In my imagination the days are already longer, the air smells different. Some days I might not even have to wear gloves - what a treat! Groundhog's day, Valentine's day, frozen Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's day all lead to Easter - that's a lot of holidays to cram into one 4-month period. I'm sure it was designed that way to keep our spirits up until we could go outside again. Robin freezin' his ass off in March with a look on his face that says, "I do this every year. When will I learn?"
Only with the utterance of the 4 most important words of spring - "Pitchers and catchers report" - will I truly know that winter is almost over.
Yikes! It's 22 degrees. Guess I'll go see if I have any clean turtlenecks.


No comments: