Saturday, July 5, 2008

cellar door

I don't remember what movie I was watching, but I do remember one of the characters saying that cellar door is supposedly one of the most attractive sounding combinations of words in the entire English language. That got me thinking.
English is a very confusing language. I've heard that it's one of the hardest to learn because it makes no logical sense. This is compounded by the fact that Americans have no idea of the reasons behind most of the subtleties. All they know is that's the way it is.
I worked for a short while with a girl from Turkey, a real nice lady. Once she got over everybody asking her about her favorite flavor of taffy, how much she must love Thanksgiving dinner and people started pronouncing her name correctly, she became one of the gang. I remember at one point trying to explain to her the difference between refuse on the side of a trash truck and saying no, as in I refuse to buy any more taffy! Now, go back to Turkey, you! Finally all I could give her was the old American standby - I don't know why, it's just that way. Now, leave me alone.
I've been thinking about words and their meanings lately because I'm back on the job market. This involves writing letters to people whose first impression of me will be as an email or a sheet of paper. Does Sincerely sound too stuffy? Is See Ya too casual? Does To Whom It May Concern sound like something along the lines of a lawsuit? Do I sound too eager? Do I sound too desperate? Do I sound like I don't give a shit? The whole process is sort of like asking people out on a blind date over and over again by letter.
Now I remember what my favorite combination of words in the English language is.
Happy Hour.

2 comments:

...Sharon said...

Okay, from my personal experience with cover letters is that I always attempt to make each as individual as snowflakes.

Given that snowflakes are cold, I tend to over compensate with the closing line. I've tried "When do I start...", "You know I'm the one....", "Try me, you'll like me..." or my favorite - " My life is now in your hands...".

Alright they may be as flakey as snowflakes. I suppose that may be reason # 3 why I still don't have a real job. Two years later.

boomsixty said...

I rather like "my life is in your hands". Never underestimate the guilt factor in the balance of power.